Thursday, July 5, 2012

Date: July 3, 2012 5:43:21 AM EDT
Subject: Misery update. . . Day 4

It appears that my close, personal friends at BGE had a banner day, yesterday. At 7am, Monday, there were 66k county residents without electric service. By 7pm, there were. . . 69k! Yeah, you read that correctly  And all without the benefit of additional inclement weather. Are you kidding me? Whoa, guys, you're going the wrong way!  To be fair, as of 40 minutes ago, that number had plummeted to just shy of 59k. At this rate, I should have power by. . . the All Star Break! (for you non-fans, that's next Monday.) By that time I'll be crazy as a shit house rat, but at least I have a time table.


Additional sounds have entered the 'most hated' list:


That pesky fly that snuck in and keeps strafing me. I hate when it does that.

The sound of skin peeling from a leather sofa after having bonded there during nearly 3 hours of sweat drenching, fitful 'sleep'.

When you're peeing, in the dark, expecting to hear liquid hitting liquid. . . and you don't. (Post-storm cleanup is going to be tougher than I anticipated.) I know, I know. Just sit down. But old habits are hard to break.




Visual delights have also entered the Loathing Zone:


NO ICE signs. (I get that one a lot. I have recently cultivated a PA 'connection', though. Whoever thought they'd have to smuggle ice?)

Field mice taking refreshing dips in the pool.

BGE trucks parked ANYWHERE but a job site. I know the guys have to eat, but isn't that why we have two hands? It's called multi-tasking! Embrace it.

The 'no wi-fi service' icon on my laptop.

My laptop, which now serves basically as a 17" iPhone that can't make calls.

Sheer, utter. . . darkness. I'm glad there's a moon. And candles.


(If you read all of this, thanks. I guess it's just a coping mechanism. I'm really not crazy. Really. No, I mean it. I'm not. I AM NOT CRAZY!  Probably. Not. Crazy.)


I wonder if the BGE folks have the day off on the 4th? That would be nice. Spend some quality time with friends, family, state officials, crack whores, in air conditioned environments. I love those guys.


Kirk out.

No comments:

Post a Comment