Thursday, July 5, 2012

Date: July 5, 2012 4:18:28 PM EDT
Subject: The Aftermath, Day 1


At 9:00 this morning more than 23k county residences/businesses were still without power. And the heat index should hit 107, which only slightly exceeds the relative humidity. I feel for them, I really do.

Based on what was saved from the freezer, my meals for the next few days will consist of bacon, hot dogs, bacon, cheese, chili and bacon. All fried up in bacon fat. Didn't know I had a bacon jones.

So much food was put down the disposal, last night, that it overheated and tripped the protection relay. I guess the 4 pound, super-value pack of Italian sausage was more than it could take. Another outstanding cost saving decision on my part.

Some stuff was salvaged, however. Example: Entenmann's chocolate covered devils food donuts are still delicious, even if they've been fused together by heat and then eaten with a fork.

I also discovered some unexpected treasures in the refrigerator. Example: a jar of bread & butter pickle slices left over from Nestopalooza 3. For those who attended, yeah, that was a while ago.

The washer and dryer are both screaming for mercy. Fuck 'em. If I'm working, they're working.

There are a lot of different items, mostly condiments for some odd reason, that have no expiration date. Note to self: add Worcestershire sauce to the 'meals' list.

My refrigerator/freezer is as clean as the day it was delivered. And nearly as empty.

Did I mention I have LOTS of bacon?



A couple of things I have learned:

Never buy so much bacon.

Instead of loading the freezer section with stuff that may eventually rot in a situation like we just had, load it with containers/bags of water. Makes the unit more energy efficient, reduces waste and lowers ones LDL levels.


For those of you in the Baltimore/DC corridor, try to stay cool. It's a scorcher out there.

1 comment:

  1. Finally found it.
    There seems to be a couple of other people out there with I'm Just Saying with something to say.

    They are not as funny.

    Love
    Jew Boy

    ReplyDelete